Home Forums Urban Modeling and Simulation Exporting Web Maps from Rhino for Mapbox Issue

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Siddharth Khakhar
      Participant

Hello,

I’ve been trying out the Web Maps export from Rhino to Mapbox. If I use EPSG 4326 (as used in the tutorial) everything runs smoothly. However, if I use a different EPSG the reprojection goes off to randomly placed points. Attached 2 images below for reference.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Sid

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Reinhard Koenig
      Keymaster

Hi Sid,
      unfortunately, I connot support you with this question. We never tried this coordiates system. You may contact Ondrej, who developed this component:
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/-ondrej-vesely/
      best regards
      Reinhard

Siddharth Khakhar
      Participant

Hi Reinhard,

No problem!

I will get in touch with Ondrej.

Many thanks,

Sid

Ondřej Veselý
        Participant

After a call with Siddharth we solved the issue.

For future reference, if someone has similar issue – we solved it by projecting first to EPSG:4326 (also known as WGS 84) as intermidiary step before projecting to local Hong Kong specific coordinate system.

The bug was possibly caused by floating point arithmetic error in the reprojection maths (we are using third party .NET library for this, so it’s hard to debug, but this is my guess). In general, using EPSG:4326 as a ‘home’ projection before reprojecting to anything else seems to be a good practice in these cases.

Reinhard Koenig
      Keymaster

Hey Ondrej, many thanks for your reply!
      Best regards
      Reinhard

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.