In this course, you are introduced to Evolutionary Algorithms and their application for your design or planning project. We use various components in Grasshopper (Galapagos, Octopus, Opossum, Wallacei) that provide algorithms for single and multi-criteria optimization.
You learn in detail how to combine various spatial analysis methods with innovative generative methods and evolutionary algorithms for the optimization of specific planning or design aspects.
The knowledge provided through online seminars will be deepened in consultations and documented in several exercises.
A requirement for choosing this seminar is the completion of the course Introduction to Scripting with C# or good programming skills. In this seminar, you enhance your programming skills and their creative application for design tasks.
Reinhard König (course coordinator – Send Mail) and Sven Schneider
- For this course, we use Rhino3D version 6 // Grasshopper. You may download a 90 days evaluation version here.
- We use the following plugins for Grasshopper:
you need a free license key from this website: https://aal.sutd.edu.sg/opossum/
- DeCodingSpaces-Toolbox: https://www.food4rhino.com/app/decodingspaces-toolbox
- Evolutionary Principles applied to Problem Solving by David Rutten
- The first chapter “An Introduction to Creative Evolutionary Systems” of the book “Creative Evolutionary Systems” by David W. Corne and Peter J. Bentley
- Deb, K. (2001). Multi-objective optimization using evolutionary algorithms. John Wiley & Sons.
- Wortmann, T. (2017). Model-based optimization for architectural design. Download